Monday, October 28, 2019

Our Cane in Christ








I made an observation in church on Sunday.....there were many who arrived with canes.
So I made mention that I thought it was interesting 5 canes had come in (one being my mother)... seemed a high ratio to me and I chuckled as I made the observation to a very sweet lady, who was one of the cane bearers....
Then realized I should say, apologetically..."Not that it is funny, you have to use a cane!"
Not funny at all! Those who are using a cane have had circumstances that have left them weaker, more unsteady than they had been previously...that isn't funny.
But it made me think ..the cane, and the need for it, can symbolize so much more!
How many of us are weak, unsteady, in need of support??

The cane is used to prop a person up, to stabilize, to assist, to lean on....see where I am going?!
Jesus Christ can be...should be...that to all of us.

He can "prop" us up when we need strength and support....


📖 Even to your old age and gray hairs

    I am he, I am he who will sustain you.
I have made you and I will carry you;
    I will sustain you and I will rescue you. Isaiah 46:4 



📖 He gives strength to the weary    and increases the power of the weak. Isiah 40:29

He can stabilize us...
📖 He will not let your foot slip—  Psalm 121:3a

📖 “Cast your burden on the Lord

    he will support you!    God will never let the righteous be shaken!”  Psalm 55:22 (CEB)


He will assist us.....



📖 So do not fear, for I am with you;

    do not be dismayed, for I am your God.

I will strengthen you and  help you;    I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.   Isaiah 41:10


📖 For I am the Lord your God

    who takes hold of your right hand
and says to you, Do not fear;
    I will help you.  Isaiah 41:13



He calls on us to lean on Him...
📖  “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” Matthew 11:28-30

I know that the reality of having to use a cane, for anyone, not just those in our congregation, doesn't usually bring a smile.  It means they have become dependent, some how, on needing that assistance...but I pray, that maybe, they can look at it differently...that we can ALL look at it differently!
Because we ALL need our Cane in the shape of Christ....those who have to use one just happen to be our living reminder of that!  And for that I am grateful! ❤ You each inspire me!


No comments:

Post a Comment