Wednesday, July 11, 2018

Bangles, Bracelets, and Badges

I wear a bunch of bracelets...actually they are bangles....wire bracelets with things that dangle from them. As I put them on I think about the person who gave them to me...and what the bangle represents.
Special ones;
Like the ones from my sister; "Sister" ("irreplaceable- forever-friend")
and an owl ("owls are symbols of wisdom and can see in the dark and see 'the larger picture' ")
My sister-in-law; a lighthouse("reassuring sign of steady ground, symbol of hope and strength at the edge of unpredictable tides as it provides navigational guidance and light in a storm.")
A very dear friend; with a "count your blessings" and a very special, personal.."B.H.O.B." (we are living proof 2 minds are better than one!)
Another very close friend and fellow "coffee club" member gave me one with the bangle that says "with enough coffee I can rule the world!" And it even has a mini travel coffee cup dangling!
One friend has given me a bracelet with charms that are children in various forms, as I have been blessed to have many little ones in my life prior to grandchildren.
I have two that are very important....one says .."grandmother" - ("wisdom-legacy-love") given to me by my mom and the other says "GiGi"....which is who I am to 5 very special little people in my life!!
The thought and sentiment behind each one is very touching and special....I HAVE to wear each one....they are "who I am"! Right?!
And I wear them proudly! Bangles jingling all over the place!
I wear a badge for work....it denotes my title at work (receptionist)....it allows me access to some areas that regular people off the street aren't able to go without being let in.
It tells patients who I am....though they dont always pay attention....just the other day I was called Doctor!
Badges are everywhere...jobs, military, volunteers, etc etc.
Badges denote who we are, our rank or position.

So...where am I going with this??!!
As believers (and yes some of us wear bangles that state we are believers)
But even if we don't wear it....can people tell?...can they see our "rank " is Christian? we serve in the Lords Army!
Does our reaction to situations show who we really are?  Wise? A light? A friend?
A sister in Christ?
Or are they just dangly, bangly things that dress up my wrist?
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.  Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.  Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit. Galatians 5:22-25

ALL believers should be recognizable....our "badge" should be evident in our behavior, in tough situations and everyday circumstances.

Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Philippians 4:5

People should NOT be surprised if they hear someone say..."oh, didn't you know ___________ is a Christian?"

Every response, reaction, everything we do should be our badge. It should let other's know who we are, that we are a Christ follower, and we should "wear" it proudly!

 Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven. Matthew 5:15-16

It is for God and for His glory!
Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters,  Colossians 3:23



No comments:

Post a Comment