Wednesday, January 10, 2024

The Right Reference

 I was doing my devotion and reading this morning and had a heck of a time finding the correct scripture reference.  1 Kings 10:11-18
First, I read through the whole chapter of 1 Kings 10.  Hmmmm... nothing about Elijah.
Occasionally, there is a misprint... maybe it is 2 Kings 10.
Read through the key verses. Still not right! 
?????
Then I realized I had misread...chapter 19!  NOT 10! 
Started reading again...still wasn't right.
I was still in 2nd Kings! 
1 Kings 19:11-18!
Finally found where I was supposed to read!
God asking Elijah a question. 
It made me think...
How important it is to have our reference points correct for some things to make more sense or be clearer.
All of Scripture is good and useful.
📖  All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work. 2 Timothy 3:16-17
But the verses I was reading to accompany the devotion made more sense with the correct ones.
We have access to the whole Bible, God's Holy Word. As we move through our day, our life, let that be our reference. 
It is packed full of truths and give us the reference we need to make things clearer, to better understand our direction or maybe even situation. 

When we have trials
📖 Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything James 1:2-4
When we are sad or discouraged
📖 In him and through faith in him we may approach God with freedom and confidence. I ask you, therefore, not to be discouraged because of my sufferings for you, which are your glory Ephesians 3:12-13
When we are tempted 
📖 No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it. 1 Corinthians 10:13
When we are anxious, stressed
📖 Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.  And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:6-7

And much much more!

That is why I like to do devotions and read in the morning...to give me a reference point for the day. Gives my day context. 
📖 In the morning, Lord, you hear my voice;
    in the morning I lay my requests before you
    and wait expectantly.Psalm 5:3

🙏Dear Lord, I pray that we each find our reference  point in You each day. Help us to be ever mindful of where our perspective comes from.♥️

No comments:

Post a Comment