Wednesday, October 25, 2023

Flame and Mist

Out, out, brief candle.
Life’s but a walking shadow, a poor player
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. . ."
Shakespeare's Macbeth soliloquy lines 5-8

I know that I have talked before about life and its brevity in light of all of history.

But there have been several lives, their flames having "gone out" recently, that make me feel that all the more.

 
πŸ“– Now listen, you who say, “Today or tomorrow we will go to this or that city, spend a year there, carry on business and make money.” Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes. James 4:13-14

We do not know and are not guaranteed our time here.

Whether it be brief, or long, whether we know it is close or it is sudden;

it comes to all of us.

The only thing I can do is be certain that every day I am given, as a gift, I live for the Gift Giver. 

I try to serve and love in Christ's name. Spread His love in all I do. 

So when my end comes...my candle goes out...I have left impressions of Him every where I went;

Kindness, compassion, understanding, patience, generosity, humility, forgiveness, respect...

πŸ“– Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. Colossians 3:12-13

If we want to leave a big bank account, buildings, plaques, banners behind we are missing the point.

In leaving Christ’s impression we are sometimes able to leave those sorts of material memorials, but they can not be our focus or our point in what we do. 

πŸ“– Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal.  For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. Matthew 6;19-21


I want to be remembered (if I am remembered at all) for how I lived,  not what I left. 


I want these words to be what I hear at the beginning of my forever...

πŸ“– His master replied, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master’s happiness!  Matthew 25:21

πŸ™ Lord, I pray that today we all live faithful to You and Your words. That we are a living testimony. Amen❤️



No comments:

Post a Comment