Friday, May 26, 2023

Intentional Connection

Sorry the blog is so late this week, I was out of town. 
As chaplain of West Stockholm Fire Department my husband had the annual conference for New York State Association of Fire Chaplains, this past week at the State Fire Acadamy in Montour Falls New York.
The theme was "A Cry For Help". As firemen, first responders and EMS they may see a lot of trauma and tragedy that may, in turn cause them mental, emotional and spiritual duress.
As chaplains they are called upon to be a resource to those in need and not just fellow emergency personnel, but the general population as well.
I was fortunate enough, as were several of the other wives, to sit in on this portion of the conference and found lots of great information as well as some inspiration for this blog!
The first presentation, by NYS Office of Mental Health, was about Social Connectedness. One word...thought, that I kept having in much of what he was saying was....INTENTIONAL.
Intentional in our connections, our relationships, our community.
We are "with" people every day, sometimes all day. But it does not mean we have a connection with them. 
We may be "connected" through our work, our organization even our family, but it doesn't mean we have "a connection". 
We have to BE INTENTIONAL if we want that intimate, important connection that allows us to interact with a person; to truly see what may be going on with them.
It takes awareness and a concerted effort; to step outside of our own issues and circumstance to really see.
It takes compassion, empathy and a bit of time; to set aside our own agenda and allow another to become our priority, at least for a time.

What came to mind is the very first relationship we have to make an intentional connection with....is Jesus Christ!
📖 “I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.  If you do not remain in me, you are like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned.  If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you.  This is to my Father’s glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples. John 15:5-9

Without that relationship being a strong, solid connection we won't have the internal, spiritual resources to reach out and help others.
We need to wake purposefully each day seeking Him and His word. Intentionally spending time with Him in prayer.
📖 Look to the Lord and his strength;
    seek his face always? 
Chronicles 16:11
📖 O God, You are my God;
Early will I seek You;
My soul thirsts for You;
My flesh longs for You
In a dry and thirsty land
Where there is no water.
So I have looked for You in the sanctuary,
To see Your power and Your glory Psalm.63:1-2 (NKJV)

We need to intentionally surrender ourselves; heart, mind, body soul, resources and time to His plan and purpose.
📖  He answered, “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind’; and, ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ Luke 10:27
📖Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship.  Romans 12:1

We have to be aware that there are things out there working against us.
📖Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. Resist him, standing firm in the faith, because you know that the family of believers throughout the world is undergoing the same kind of sufferings. 1 Peter 5:8-9

But if we Intentionally seek Him...
📖 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Matthew 6:33

we will be able to Intentionally give others what they may need, or at least be able to give them love and support and help them find the resources they need.

📖if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. Now my eyes will be open and my ears attentive to the prayers offered in this place. 2 Chronicles 7:14-15

If we are intentional in our connection to Him He will not only see us through our difficult situation, but will allow us to be that beacon of hope for someone else.

🙏My prayer today is that if you are in a situation where you are feeling disconnected, isolated, alone, I pray you let someone know how you are feeling, you reach out a hand to someone. I pray you can lift your prayer to God, who will hear and bring someone into your path. I pray strength to reach out, I pray courage to share your heart and I pray each one feels connected to His love, protection and healing. I also pray that if some one reaches out to you, God gives you compassion, empathy, and a heart for that individual. ❤️

1 comment: