Monday, January 18, 2021

MLK Day (Rerun)

Originally posted Monday Januray 15, 2018 (with a couple alterations)

MLK Day, Martin Luther King Jr Day, Martin Luther King Jr Day of Service, MLK Jr. Day of Service

It has many names  but ...
Martin Luther King Jr Day was signed into law in 1983 and first observed in 1986....1994 the King Holiday and Service Act  was signed into law challenging American citizens to volunteer or do other acts of service to honor Martin Luther King and his accomplishments in civil rights and  non violence.

So I hope that today...whether in your job or where ever ...you are able to volunteer or are able to perform some acts of service to help your community or others.

As Christians let's take that further!
Christ came to serve ...and we are called to do the same!

"just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.”  Matthew 20:28
He gave many examples of how to serve those around us...but one of my favorites is;

 so he got up from the meal, took off his outer clothing, and wrapped a towel around his waist.  After that, he poured water into a basin and began to wash his disciples’ feet, drying them with the towel that was wrapped around him.
 He came to Simon Peter, who said to him, “Lord, are you going to wash my feet?”
Jesus replied, You do not realize now what I am doing, but later you will understand.” 
“No,” said Peter, “you shall never wash my feet.”
Jesus answered, Unless I wash you, you have no part with me.”
 “Then, Lord,” Simon Peter replied, “not just my feet but my hands and my head as well!”
Jesus answered, Those who have had a bath need only to wash their feet; their whole body is clean. And you are clean, though not every one of you.” For he knew who was going to betray him, and that was why he said not every one was clean.
 When he had finished washing their feet, he put on his clothes and returned to his place. Do you understand what I have done for you?” he asked them.  You call me ‘Teacher’ and ‘Lord,’ and rightly so, for that is what I am.  Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another’s feet. I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you. Very truly I tell you, no servant is greater than his master, nor is a messenger greater than the one who sent him. Now that you know these things, you will be blessed if you do them. John 13:4-17
In humility, love and compassion we are called to serve those around us, our "fellow man"  whom ever that may be; the clean neat and tidy or the stinky, dirty beggar.

You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh; rather, serve one another humbly in love. Galatians 5:13

Can we all say we have the same "dream" as the Reverend Dr. King?
"I have a dream today ... I have a dream that one day every valley shall be exalted, every hill and mountain shall be made low the rough places will be made plain, and the crooked places will be made straight. And the glory of the Lord shall be revealed, and all flesh shall see it together. This is our hope. " (I Have A Dream copyright 1963 Martin Luther King)  which comes from Isaiah 40:4-6.

Do we not dream that one day ALL will see the Glory of the LORD!?!  

Until that day....we can show the glory of the Lord by serving all those around us humbly, in love and in Jesus' name!

No comments:

Post a Comment