Monday, April 22, 2019

Lessons From A Thief

Last week we talked about what we believe. ..and how that can bring us to Christ's saving grace.
And that the thief on the cross showed you didn't need a special prayer, or to be in a special place, or even be with any specific person.
It seems only appropriate that the day after we celebrate Jesus resurrection we talk about this man and some lessons that I see in his story.

📖 Two other men, both criminals, were also led out with him to be executed. When they came to the place called the Skull, they crucified him there, along with the criminals—one on his right, the other on his left. Jesus said, “Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing.” And they divided up his clothes by casting lots.
The people stood watching, and the rulers even sneered at him. They said, “He saved others; let him save himself if he is God’s Messiah, the Chosen One.”
The soldiers also came up and mocked him. They offered him wine vinegar  and said, “If you are the king of the Jews, save yourself.”
There was a written notice above him, which read: this is the king of the jews.
One of the criminals who hung there hurled insults at him: “Aren’t you the Messiah? Save yourself and us!”
But the other criminal rebuked him. “Don’t you fear God,” he said, “since you are under the same sentence? We are punished justly, for we are getting what our deeds deserve. But this man has done nothing wrong.”  Then he said, “Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom.”
Jesus answered him, “Truly I tell you, today you will be with me in paradise.” Luke 23:32-43

Just as I said last week....we can do nothing to gain entry to heaven but BELIEVE...and my proof for that is right here in these verses...in the story of the criminal on the cross.

📖 Don’t you fear God,” he said, “since you are under the same sentence?  We are punished justly, for we are getting what our deeds deserve. But this man has done nothing wrong.” 

He acknowledged he was a sinner receiving the punishment he deserved.

He understood who was on the cross next to him...and His connection to God.

📖 Then he said, “Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom.”
Jesus answered him, “Truly I tell you, today you will be with me in paradise."

📖  If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead,you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved. Romans 10:9-10

He believed....he confessed....not even saying "save me", but saying what a humbled heart would say....simply "remember me". In saying that he acknowledged who Jesus was to the other thief and to Jesus Himself.
The thief also believed Christ would have victory over death...in saying "remember me" he acknowledged that Christ would some how be alive again.  He understood Christ's Kingship....as he said "when you come into your kingdom"

Because of the belief he had and the faith in what he believed.....he was promised paradise! promised he would be in Jesus company! promised salvation! that very day!

It is all in Perspective... the two thieves saw the 3rd man hanging on the cross with them from different perspectives
A sweet friend of mine reminded me of perspective last Sunday during praise time at church.
The day before, she and I, my oldest daughter and her 3 little ones and another good friend were working at church, cleaning and preparing for Palm/Easter Sunday.  She shared what a blessing it had been to be at church working, and what a sweet place it is to be, and how we are blessed to have such a place in which to go to worship.
Perspective; instead of the drudgery of having to clean but the joy of the place and company.
We were also moved as her young daughter was teaching my little granddaughter "Mary Had a Little Lamb" on the piano.  She shared how she heard that song with a new perspective....Mary had a Little Lamb...the Lamb of God!

Perspective thief 1: what can you do for me? "Get me down from here if you are who you say"
Perspective thief 2: what have I done to you?!  He understood he was guilty of his crimes, yet Christ, who was guilty of nothing, was receiving the same punishment.
Jesus had already taken on everyone's guilt...every name and every sin ...even that of both thieves....only one chose not to believe it and the other did.
And we have that same choice....
God what can you do for me?
OR What have I done to you!?
 My sin is why You were punished and crucified!  Please forgive me..."remember me!"
So the lessons I learned:
At any time as long as we are drawing a breath....we can believe and confess. It is never too late!
There is nothing we can do...no good dead, no "work" that will save us. It is what we believe in our hearts.  The thief was nailed to a cross....he wasn't about to do anything to gain entrance into heaven but believe!
And it is immediate....confess with your mouth and you are saved, and when you take your last breath....you will be with Him in Paradise!

But why wait?...why not believe and confess today!  Because ...we never know when that last breath may be.   AND why not live a life in Christ while we still are breathing!!??


And he said, “The Son of Man must suffer many things and be rejected by the elders, the chief priests and the teachers of the law, and he must be killed and on the third day be raised to life.”

Then he said to them all: Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross daily and follow me.  For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me will save it. What good is it for someone to gain the whole world, and yet lose or forfeit their very self? Whoever is ashamed of me and my words, the Son of Man will be ashamed of them when he comes in his glory and in the glory of the Father and of the holy angels.  Luke 9:22-26



No comments:

Post a Comment