Tuesday, August 21, 2018

Psalm 23

The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing.
 He makes me lie down in green pastures,he leads me beside quiet waters,
   he refreshes my soul.He guides me along the right paths
    for his name’s sake.
Even though I walk
    through the darkest valley,
I will fear no evil,
    for you are with me;
your rod and your staff,
    they comfort me.
You prepare a table before me
    in the presence of my enemies.
You anoint my head with oil;
    my cup overflows.
Surely your goodness and love will follow me    all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the house of theLord
    forever.

I have used this verse before...probably more than once, but I am going to look at a different part.
My mom is taking great comfort and strength from this scripture passage during this journey.
She shared with me her imaging when reciting it;
"Your rod and Your Staff"
Mom invisioned one in each hand.
HIS rod...
HIS staff....

In scripture many times they are used synonymously,  but I  am going to expound on the subtle differences.
There is the rod...used for correcting/discipline, defending, protecting.

"You will break them with a rod of iron;
    you will dash them to pieces like pottery.

Psalm 2:9

rod and a reprimand impart wisdom, but a child left undisciplined disgraces its mother. Proverbs 29:15

With Moses all through out Exudus God had him use the staff to do amazing things, over and over, to show them the power of God

Raise your staff and stretch out your hand over the sea to divide the water so that the Israelites can go through the sea on dry ground. Exodus 14:16

The staff was used when traveling to give assistance to the traveler.
Do not get any gold or silver or copper to take with you in your belts  no bag for the journey or extra shirt or sandals or a staff, for the worker is worth his keep. Matthew 10:9-10

Or even something to lean on for rest.
By faith Jacob, when he was dying, blessed each of Joseph’s sons, and worshiped as he leaned on the top of his staff.
Hebrews 11:21

The shepherds used a staff to guide the sheep in the direction they needed to go, and even rescue them with the crook if neccesary.

Kevin has walking sticks he has made for hiking.  They are taller than the hiker and they lend balance and support on unsteady ground  and defiantely something to lean on when weary.

So Mom, with God's rod in one hand....
God is defending and protecting her against attacks from the devil (discouragement, dispair etc)
In her other hand God's staff giving her support with every step, somewhere to lean when she gets weary. Guiding her,  directing her steps.

We are grateful for God's peace and comfort as we work through all of the challenges life brings.
God defends us, protects us, gives His stength.
And He gives us the tools to climb any mountain! AMEN!

The song that has been going through my head as I have been working on this.
Word of God Speak - Mercy Me

No comments:

Post a Comment