Monday, March 11, 2024

Toxic or Tonic

 A "buzz" word that we hear quite a bit these days is "toxic"  toxic relationships, toxic people, toxic associations. 
::poisonous or unpleasant substances or situations

I am not going to get into the use of the term. While I understand it's use, and the need to use wisdom and care in our relationships, I find the term and its use to be less than helpful on many occasions.

I want to come from a different direction.
It came to mind while listening to a book; a person was described as a TONIC. 

::giving a feeling of vigor or well-being; invigorating:

It is simple; I strive to be a tonic to all those I come in contact with....not toxic...
📖  With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse human beings, who have been made in God’s likeness.  Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers and sisters, this should not be. Can both fresh water and salt water flow from the same spring? My brothers and sisters, can a fig tree bear olives, or a grapevine bear figs? Neither can a salt spring produce fresh water. James 3:9-12

I want to be a balm, a breath of fresh air, a soothing mist, a refreshing spring, a calming spirit...
Just as the Lord is to us;
📖 The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing.
He makes me lie down in green pastures,
he leads me beside quiet waters, 
he refreshes my soul. Psalm 23:1-2

Jesus told us He would be just that to us;
 📖 “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” Matthew 11:28-30

In reading Romans 12 I find it sums it up for me!
📖 Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship. Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will. For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the faith God has distributed to each of you. For just as each of us has one body with many members, and these members do not all have the same function, so in Christ we, though many, form one body, and each member belongs to all the others. We have different gifts, according to the grace given to each of us. If your gift is prophesying, then prophesy in accordance with your faith; if it is serving, then serve; if it is teaching, then teach; if it is to encourage, then give encouragement; if it is giving, then give generously; if it is to lead do it diligently; if it is to show mercy, do it cheerfully. Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good. 10 Be devoted to one another in love. Honor one another above yourselves. 11 Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord. 12 Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. 13 Share with the Lord’s people who are in need. Practice hospitality.

14 Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse. 15 Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn. 16 Live in harmony with one another. Do not be proud, but be willing to associate with people of low position. Do not be conceited. 17 Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everyone. 18 If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. 19 Do not take revenge, my dear friends, but leave room for God’s wrath, for it is written: “It is mine to avenge; I will repay,” says the Lord. 20 On the contrary:

“If your enemy is hungry, feed him;
    if he is thirsty, give him something to drink.
In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head.”

21 Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good. 


 We are a comfort to others because we have been given comfort;
📖 May the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ be blessed! He is the compassionate Father and God of all comfort. He’s the one who comforts us in all our trouble so that we can comfort other people who are in every kind of trouble. We offer the same comfort that we ourselves received from God.  That is because we receive so much comfort through Christ in the same way that we share so many of Christ’s sufferings. So if we have trouble, it is to bring you comfort and salvation. If we are comforted, it is to bring you comfort from the experience of endurance while you go through the same sufferings that we also suffer.  Our hope for you is certain, because we know that as you are partners in suffering, so also you are partners in comfort. 2 Corinthians 1:3-7 (CEB)

Continue in the work of compassion and encouragement.
 📖 Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing. 1 Thessalonians 5:11

📖  Let us not become weary in doing good, for at t he proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers. Galatians 6:9-10

🙏My payer 
📖 We are glad whenever we are weak but you are strong; and our prayer is that you may be fully restored. (2 Corinthians 13:9)
so that when you choose to be a tonic for someone today, you have what you need.♥️



1 comment: