Tuesday, November 13, 2018

The Living and the Dead

Since this past Sunday was veterans day....I wanted to know the difference between Veterans Day and Memorial Day...as some of the visual remembrances seem to be interchangeable.
Memorial Day is the day we honor those who have died in service to our country.
Veteran's Day is the day set aside to recognize and honor those living veterans and active military.
A big difference? Well to those still alive, I am guessing.

But aren't we honoring those who serve in our nations armed forces either way?
I think the distinction between the living; those who served/are serving...and those who have died in service, is an important one.  Don't we honor the living differently than the dead?
But it got me thinking about honoring our Lord.

Jesus Christ died....in a battle with the sin of this world....He sacrificed His life for a worthy cause...YOU and ME!
📖 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
And we can honor that by accepting what He did for us.
📖  God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God  2 Corinthians 5:21

BUT on the other hand!!  Jesus is ALIVE!
📖 Then he said to Thomas, “Put your finger here; see my hands. Reach out your hand and put it into my side. Stop doubting and believe.” Thomas said to him, “My Lord and my God!”  Then Jesus told him, “Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.” John 20:27-29
And He is still "active duty"
 ðŸ“– He will not let your foot slip— he who watches over you will not slumber; indeed, he who watches over Israel will neither slumber nor sleep. Isaiah 121:3-4
📖  being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus. Philippians 1:6 

We can honor that by proclaiming what He did for us!
 If we live, we live for the Lord; and if we die, we die for the Lord. So, whether we live or die, we belong to the Lord. For this very reason, Christ died and returned to life so that he might be the Lord of both the dead and the living. Romans 14:8-10


This says it all!  
I have accepted His death for me, and I proclaim it!!

I am grateful for those who have served our country, as well as those who have served the Lord, and lost their lives in that service.  And I am thankful for those who can testify to their service and those who are serving now.
BUT I am most thankful for the Savior who gave it ALL for me and is on my side today...everyday!

No comments:

Post a Comment