Tuesday, October 16, 2018

Renovations

Renovation projects...I don't like them.  Don't get me wrong....I love my new floor, my new tub and bathroom fixtures, the finished siding on the garage, the redone driveway!
 I KNOW you can barely call what we had done renovations in the "fix it", "update it " world, but to me the disruption to my neat orderly life (😅😅) ok, so just the disruption and mess, is unsettling.
AND we didn't even do much of the work ourselves!!!
What made me realize how much I dislike it...and led me to be inspired to write this ...I was at work the other night and went around the corner to punch out...and the whole hallway was stripped bare of wall decore, they were removing wallpaper...they were "up dating"...renovating the hospital entrance!  My initial, gut reaction,  wasn't "Oh Nice",  it was a feeling of dread....AND it isn't even MY home!!
Yes, I admit, I have a problem!
It got me thinking ...what is it that causes that initial moment of dread and dislike for renovations?
It is change, our routine is disrupted.  We may have to change the way we do things for a short time, or longer.
Which can cause discomfort; emotional, physical.

BUT aren't  renovations neccesary!?   They were before the big wedding that was taking place at my home!!  Renovations are necessary for the health and maintenance of a home, or any building for that matter.
SOOOO...
Our bodies are a tent, a dwelling place,
a "home" for the Holy Spirit!
And "renovations" are a neccesary part of our Chrisitan life.
They can be uncomfortable, down right painful....BUT a must to maintain a solid dwelling place!
Our bodies are like tents that we live in here on earth. 2 Corinthians 5:1 (CEV)

Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your bodies. 1 Corinthians 6:19-20
Sometimes minor repairs, a bit of sprucing up so to speak, is needed.
Sometimes major renovations are required.
ALL of us, at one point in our lives, needed work from the ground up!  When you accept Christ He becomes your solid Foundation, on which the rest of your life is built.
 “Why do you call me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ and do not do what I say?  As for everyone who comes to me and hears my words and puts them into practice, I will show you what they are like.  They are like a man building a house, who dug down deep and laid the foundation on rock. When a flood came, the torrent struck that house but could not shake it, because it was well built.  But the one who hears my words and does not put them into practice is like a man who built a house on the ground without a foundation. The moment the torrent struck that house, it collapsed and its destruction was complete.” Luke 6:46-49
And then, as storms and life happen, we might take a few hits and need to fix up some things....bitterness, anger, defensiveness might need to be ripped out and replaced.
Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you. Ephesians 4:31-32
Or maybe time has worn things down, to the point that it is hard to see the original work; complacency needs to be replaced with fervency,
"For the waywardness of the simple will kill them, and the complacency of fools will destroy them;
33 but whoever listens to me will live in safety
 and be at ease, without fear of harm.” Proverbs 1:32 33
 I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other!  So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth Revelation 3:15-16

 ...or everyday life is so busy we have let upkeep slide, and we need to make sure to replace some of the of "fixtures" of busyness with new, permanent updates of more time in prayer and studying the Word.

let us draw near to God with a sincere heart and with the full assurance that faith brings,  Hebrews 10:22
The heart of the discerning acquires knowledge,
    for the ears of the wise seek it out.

  Proverbs 18:15

And when the project is finished ...don't we like to sit back and enjoy and admire the completed work?!   I would venture ...God does too!

being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus. Ph

I pray your foundation is strong, built on the solid rock!  And that you anticipate, even look forward to "renovations!
 If my necessary renovations bring me closer to Him...."BRING THEM ON!"

No comments:

Post a Comment