Tuesday, January 9, 2018

Codependent?

Much discussion these days about codependency and how we shouldn't be codependent or enablers to the codependent.
And I had a thought (of course!);
Aren't we designed to be codependent?  on Christ? Or more specifically other believers in Christ?

We are going to define codependent in it's loosest sense;
"The definition of codependent is a situation where two people mutually rely on each other."
Read more at (http://www.yourdictionary.com/codependent#QUI6vGTWtbCtXvoo.99)

Isn't that what Christians should be to each other...but in the positive sense?  God designed us to be a community.
 From the very beginning God said it was not good for man to be alone! (Genesis 2:10) I know that with that He meant a helpmate....but the concept, that from creation we were not meant to be solitary individuals but be dependent on others.
They devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching and to fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer. Acts 2:42

But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin. 1 John 1:7

Two are better than one,
    because they have a good return for their labor:
 If either of them falls down,
    one can help the other up.
But pity anyone who falls
    and has no one to help them up.
Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm.
    But how can one keep warm alone?
 Though one may be overpowered,
    two can defend themselves.
A cord of three strands is not quickly broken. Ecclesiastes 4:9-12 


With Christ it is more a dependent relationship than co-dependent...as He existed long before us and will continue... But He does desire a relationship with us!

For we are His creation, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared ahead of time so that we should walk in them. Ephesians 2:10

Now if we died with Christ, we believe that we will also live with Him. Romans 6:8


 His existence is NOT dependent on us....but ours certainly is on Him! 
 “I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. John 15:5

Without Christ all our works, all we strive for our very  existence has no real meaning.
We are created by Him for His works (Ephesians 2:10).


I pray that my dependency on Christ is utterly complete!  and I pray that for you too!
and that I realize my need for others in my life, the codependency I have with others, that they are dependent on me as well, for my encouragement, prayer, friendship, love.  I need to remember that and not neglect those God has put in my life!



It is not my intention to downplay or disrespect the meaning of codependency and issues with addiction and unhealthy behavior or the people that struggle with it daily.
But maybe if some one is stuck in that sort of cycle, that sort of relationship, that sort of life; understanding our great need for Jesus Christ, our dependency on Him for all things in our life....that could be a help to move them away from that sort of behavior.  Also, that being dependent on others for Godly, positive, healthy support, encouragement, daily contact, spiritual uplifting, guidance and direction and accountability could also help in moving in the right direction and staying on that path.

No comments:

Post a Comment