Thursday, June 13, 2019

Follow the Guide

Doing a study by Gwen Smith, Psalm Adventure, she sited Psalm 48 and told a story about traveling in a foreign land and the need for a guide...
πŸ“– For this God is our God for ever and ever;
    he will be our guide even to the end. Psalm 48:14
Someone who speaks the language, knows the customs and culture....
Got me thinking...
It also made me think about my husband who is an Adirondack Hiking guide...he knows the trails, the terrain, the peaks.  When he plans a hike there is much preparation to know as much as he can about where he is going and what to expect, and to be prepared for the unexpected.  The other individuals with him trust that he knows where he is going, trust he is prepared.
You can probably see where I am going with this!

We can trust the Lord as our guide...
πŸ“–  Good and upright is the Lord;
therefore he instructs sinners in his ways.

He guides the humble in what is right
and teaches them his way.

All the ways of the Lord are loving and faithful

toward those who keep the demands of his covenant.    Psalm 25:8-10
ALL His ways are loving and faithful!

πŸ“–  I don’t want you to forget, dear brothers and sisters, about our ancestors in the wilderness long ago. All of them were guided by a cloud that moved ahead of them, and all of them walked through the sea on dry ground. 1 Corinthians 10:1

God guided in the Old Testament! Then He sent JesΓΊs to lead, to teach His ways.  To guide mankind toward the Father...Jesus was/is THE guide to follow...we just have to choose to do so!
πŸ“–  Then he said to them all: “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross daily and follow me. Luke 9:23

Come, follow me,” Jesus said, “and I will send you out to fish for people.” Matthew 4:19

At least 21 times in the 4 gospels Jesus said "Follow me."  How great to have had Him as an actual physical person to follow!! 
But don't despair, He didn't leave us stranded! When  He was leaving the earth ..He gave the disciples a contingency plan ...actually gave way more...
πŸ“–  “I have much more to say to you, more than you can now bear. But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all the truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come.  He will glorify me because it is from me that he will receive what he will make known to you. John 16:23-14
He promised the Holy Spirit....they were not going to be without a guide!
And the Holy Spirit's information all came directly from the Source....all the knowledge about "customs and culture"...all pertinent information!
πŸ“– Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.” Matthew 28:19-20

The Holy Spirit wasn't a replacement but an addition, to Jesus Himself AND He was telling the disciples that He had given them what they needed to guide others toward the Father, and His Son!

We weren't just given the Holy Spirit as a guide, we are also given a road map!
πŸ“– Your word is a lamp for my feet, a light on my path. Psalm 119:105
What this verse says to me...is that even when we are navigating in dark times we can still see what we need to...still see where we need to go! It is all there in scripture!

I know I have used this verse many times but to me it is all the things the best guide would do.


πŸ“– The Lord is my [guide] shepherd, I lack nothing.
He makes me lie down in green pastures,  
he leads me beside quiet waters, he refreshes my soul.
He guides me along the right paths
for his name’s sake.
Even though I walk
through the darkest valley,
I will fear no evil
for you are with me;
your rod and your staff,
they comfort me.
You prepare a table before me
in the presence of my enemies
You anoint my head with oil;
my cup overflows
Surely your goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the house of
the Lord forever.    Psalm 23

You see?! He leads us to places of refreshing, He guides us in the way we should go.
He walks with us. He has the tools needed to guide us and bring us comfort. He prepares/provides nourishment, spiritually and physically. He blesses us even more than we need or can imagine. As long as we are walking with Him His love and goodness will follow us.  When we allow Him to be our Guide we have the promise that we will be with Him for all eternity. 

As I worked on the blog this week this song kept coming into my thoughts:

Potter's Hand
Beautiful Lord, wonderful saviour
I know for sure, all of my days are held in Your hands
Crafted into Your perfect plan
You gently call me, into Your presence
Guiding me by, Your Holy Spirit
Teach me dear Lord

To live all of my life through Your eyes
I'm captured by, Your Holy calling
Set me apart
I know You're drawing me to Yourself
Lead me Lord I pray
Take me, Mold me
Use me, Fill me
I give my life to the Potter's hands
Hold me, Guide me
Lead me, Walk beside me

I give my life to the Potter's hand
Songwriters: Darlene Joyce Zschech

My prayer is that you can let Him guide you...all of your days.

The Potter's Hand Hillsong
Click on the link if you would like to listen to the song.



No comments:

Post a Comment